In July of 1921 Dr. C.B. Walters broke ground on a new, state-of-the art building in downtown Louisa with a steam shovel. The upstairs was to be used as offices for Dr. Walters. The downstairs was divided into two rooms. The first was used as a modern pharmacy. The second was leased for use as a picture show.
The theater opened on New Year’s Eve, 1921. The theater presented stage shows starting in 1922 with the Lyceum series. The series included the Boston Male Quartet and Princess Nadonia Indians. The stage frequently hosted circus acts, magicians, and live music.
The Garden Theatre was a vital part of the community until its closing in 1957. In the subsequent years, it survived several iterations – serving as an auto parts store, a law office – until it was abandoned and fell into disrepair.
In 2019 the theatre was purchased and refurbished and resumed its rightful place as a lively gathering place in the heart of Louisa. Mountain Movers Theatre Company is proud to call The Garden Theatre home and produces a year-round offering of events, including children’s theatre, community theatre, and professional theatre productions.